Apr 6, 2009

sewing and messing

When Amalia was born I "inherited" some clothes from some friends with older girls (we still  get a big bag of clothes every now and then, so much quicker and cheaper than sewing ;-)). There was this one very sweet apron shirt that's made in one piece. I love it when something seems very simple but the making of it is clever, especially clothes that are made in one piece - when they work and look good they are even more beautiful for this elegant solution in their making.
Anyhow I worked out the pattern more or less and since then made a few sizes. But being the chaotic crafter that I am, there seems to be no real connection between the patterns of the different sizes, god knows why. I found that out only recently and kind of late in the season for making anything to sell...
I realized that I had sort of missed the summer season about 2 month ago, when everybody started to show off their summer collections and I had done nothing all winter (but watch lots of downloaded films and TV series - hey, it was cold where my sewing machine stands).
A friend phoned me and asked to buy some summer clothes for her daughter, and then added that some friends of hers would also be interested, and should we organize a home-sale at her place before Passover. so I thought, OK, no big plans, I won't even phone my seamstress, I'll just dig up the few pieces which patterns are finished and checked, make 3-4 sizes of each, and make very few pieces to sell. and then start immediately working on winter, since I'm soooo sloooww. I started with this shirt, and drowned in this pattern mess, had to draw it all over again and try on my house model to check it works fine. so much work! I might have some things finished for the girls to buy around September... luckily, Israeli summer runs until about late November.
*It's not so well photographed, it was windy.




+
here's a cool video clip of Israeli musician Oren Lavie.



Happy Passover.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ibi,
    Thank you so much for your reaction on my post. And no, you don't preach. I'm influencened by all those images on blogs (Soule Mama for example, I also have her book) where children are so expresive. But you are so right: I have to take of my own wishfull glasses and look at him the way he really is.
    And I think that's also something you have to learn as a parent: letting go of fixed ideas and move along with your child. Like a dance.
    I'm also glad you responded because I don't want my blog to be only a showcase of my sewing, but also about my thoughts, and life.
    Pelle and I loved the video.
    Happy Easter, love, Ria

    ReplyDelete