Apr 18, 2009

37

It was my birthday today.
I'm not a big birthday fan, it's always a day of tears and regrets, so I didn't do much celebrating. But I did manage not to sink into self-pity Lucy-Jordan-singing mode. instead I tried to keep it just another normal Saturday.
The children made me some birthday drawings, Here they are on the fridge:

(bottom left by Hilel, other three by Amalia, they are whales with legs)
and Amalia kept picking flowers in the garden and giving them to me. They definitely sweetened the bitterness of getting so... grown up.
Instead of baking a cake I wanted to try some savory muffins for breakfast, so I dug up a banana muffin recipe and improvised on it. Turned out delicious and even half healthy!!
here's a sort of a recipe:

Sweet potato spelt flour muffins
2 sweet potatoes - cook until tender and leave to cool in a sieve.
in a bowl mix:
1.5 cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
salt

mash the sweet potatoes with a fork and add to the bowl, as well as:
2 eggs
some cream (I'd rather have used yoghurt but we ran out)
and quiet a bit of olive oil
-until it all resembles a muffin mixture texture in it's fluidity.

1 purple onion - chop and fry and add to the bowl.
add some grated kashkaval cheese and some grated nutmeg.
pour into a well oiled muffin baking pan and sprinkle with some more grated kashkaval.
bake in preheated oven at 180 C (mid temperature) for 15 minutes.




This is from a few days ago, our super nice neighbors took us to this little creek nearby where the water pour into a little swimmable pool. It was even warm enough, but I only packed the kid's bathing suits, so we only dipped our feet. Hilel was very busy trying to catch frog tadpoles and Amalia was just enjoying the water.


And from another weekend walks spot: Ramat Hanadiv park, just outside our home town.

2 comments:

  1. The funny thing, the picture your daughter drew you, my daughter drew me something quite similar the other day. The circle with the legs sticking out all over. My Bella said it was her spider. It was the first drawing that was more that just scribbles she has ever done. How their minds work at that age....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, how old is she? sounds very similar to what's going on around here..

    ReplyDelete